Knitted blankets (Charity Knitting)

Monday, 5 January 2015

31st December 2014 : Finished Objects and Works in Progress

For some time I have not been able to do anything near as much knitting as I would like. However, I did try to improve productivity during November and December.

On 9th December I was able to deliver a project to the Norris Museum in St Ives, Cambridgeshire. It will eventually have its own Paulineknit blog entry but here is the write-up by the Museum on its Facebook Page. https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Norris-Museum/576610655688928.

“As I was going to St Ives…”. A hand-knitted version of the gentleman from the famous St Ives’ rhyme, along with his 7 wives, their cats, kittens and sacks, have just arrived at The Norris courtesy of super-talented knitting artist Pauline Hornsby. They are all bursting with fun and personality! They will be added to our Discovery Chest in the New Year following a special event for Under 5’s (to be announced). Pauline was taught to knit by her mother, grandmother and aunts in the 1950s. She has taught many, given talks and demonstrations as well as editing and checking patterns for magazines and international publishers…  
When Dave used the picture of one of my hand knitted poppy brooches on his Facebook timeline I received requests to knit poppies from other people. 

The requests came too close to Remembrance Sunday and 11th November to get the poppies made and delivered in time. They were completed in December and have been dispatched. The one to Australia was received today (5th January). Poppies for women were made using a sparkle yarn. 


The pattern is Faye's Knitted 5000 Poppies Pattern  and can be found at
http://5000poppies.wordpress.com/poppy-patterns/. The original pattern uses 8ply (UK double knitting) yarn on 3.5mm needles but my brooches used 4ply yarn on 2mm needles. The leaf pattern is my own design and can be found here. Because the poppy pattern is protected by copyright, the poppies were sent as gifts. 

A blue ten-stitch blanket for the premature baby unit Moor Knit & Natter is supporting was completed. Made from donated (to me) yarns. 50cm/20 inches square approx. The pattern for the ten-stitch blanket can be found here.


The second prem baby ten-stitch blanket is coming on. Made using donated (to me) acrylic double knitting yarns on 5mm needles. One side (the top side in the picture) and another round to go but I need to find more similar yarn. Ten-stitch blankets are usually worked when I attend knitting groups. They don't need much concentration so nattering and laughing can continue without fear of going wrong.


Having lost the original instructions and then having to work them out again I have started the first of two long overdue white and navy romper suits. The current romper is to fit age 12-18 months. The white yarn is Hayfield Bonus acrylic double knitting, The navy yarn is Stylecraft Special acrylic double knitting. Since this photograph was taken, the body with integral sleeves has been completed and I am awaiting confirmation as to whether a neckband or a hood is required. 


I also started a scarf for the Operation Christmas Child 2015 Christmas Shoeboxes. Made using donated (to me) DK yarn on 4mm needles, garter stitch over 32 stitches. Scarves are also worked when I attend knitting groups or when I need some mindless knitting.


Finally the summer cardigan I started on behalf of a friend using Rico Essential DK on 5mm needles, pattern 153. The back and the right front with integral sleeves are completed and I am now working on the left front. The main problem is going to be to find a big enough space to block the back. 


1 comment:

  1. As usual Pauline a very good selection of projects, I particularly like the summer cardigan. The Rico yarn will make for a perfect summer knit

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my Paulineknit blog today. Your comments are welcome. If you enjoy knitting please visit and Like my Facebook Page www.facebook.com/Paulineknit.