Knitted blankets (Charity Knitting)

Wednesday, 5 December 2012

Work in Progress, Wednesday 5th December 2012

Only five knitting projects as works in progress (though many more as unfinished objects). The two reserved for simple knitting when attending knitting groups - the polo neck and the summer jumper - are progressing as and when.

The polo neck has been restarted in a bigger size, this time working the body in the round so that the colours of the variegated yarn match at what otherwise would be the side seams. The sleeves will be worked flat. The back, front and sleeves will be joined and worked in the round for the raglan shaping. 


The back of the blue summer jumper has been completed to the start of the circular yoke. The front is but in its infancy. Finishing the polo neck will take preference whenever possible.


Yesterday I received the remainder of the yarn for the Abravo Alpacas Ambrosia Collar (informaly known as the neckwarmer) and this is now finished.



Working on the blue sparkle jumper to meet the deadline meant that the dolman has shown little progress. The intention is for this to now take top priority.


With everything else the Purl Alpaca Designs Alexis Gloves were relegated to UFOs but have been reinstated to WIPs so that they can be given as gifts.


The blue sparkle jumper was completed over the weekend and in time for the deadline. To be worn at Christmas functions. I always feel the cold and this will keep me warm without - I hope - being too casual or too boring. 

 

 



Like everyone else, writing Christmas cards and letters as well as Christmas shopping are WIPs. I have my fingers in many pies and the daily round of the admin associated with these takes from a few to several hours, plus meetings and plus trying to work on my own projects. One of these is an exciting project working with a knitting colleague. Obviously we want to keep this Work in Progress under wraps until finished. 

After finishing the current KnitLit book - Friends, Lovers, Chocolate by Alexander McCall Smith - Miss Read is back on the agenda. A friend gave me the whole collection of Miss Read books which I enjoy very much. These I am passing on to another friend who passes on to a mutual friend and so on along a chain until the books eventually arrive at a charity shop. I have books, videos, DVDs, CDs and cassette tapes bought or been given over the years that I have never got around to enjoying and am trying to make up for lost time. Today's KnitLit book is A Quiet Belief in Angels by Roger Jon Ellory. One of the benefits of the KnitLit books is reading a novel that might otherwise been ignored when choosing something to read. Many of the group have been introduced to new authors, new styles of writing and to subjects we didn't think we would enjoy.

8 comments:

  1. Your sparkly jumper turned out beautifully, will you be wearing it on 13th? The neck warmer is very pretty too, I'm liking this new line of yarn very nice. Good idea to make the polo in the round, saves on wastage trying to get the sides to match up. I'm done to one WIP now, so couldn't be bothered to blog about it again this week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. I certainly will wear it on the 13th. Not for showing off but for keeping warm. Looking forward to seeing your finished WIP soon.

      Delete
  2. All are lovely, but the blue sweater is gorgeous! Wear with pride and joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I will. It will have its first wearing this coming weekend.

      Delete
  3. WOW, you've been busy. Love the neck warmer...nice details. Can't wrap my brain around how you're doing sleeves flat but then joining with neck etc to have raglan, but I do like the way raglan sweaters lay, tend to be smoother I think. My favorite sweater (super easy one too), was a raglan crocheted sweater...somehow I've lost the pattern and it was ages ago. Have looked off and on the net in hopes of finding it, or someone remembering it...no luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandy. I hope the pictures when the raglan yoke is being worked will explain all about joining the sleeves to the back and the front. They say "a picture paints a thousand words".

      I am sorry you have lost the pattern for your favourite crochet jumper. Maybe one day ...

      Delete
  4. Oh, the yarn you're using in the polo is beautiful!!! Also, I think your blue sparkle sweater has the perfect amount of glitz for holiday festivities!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my Paulineknit blog today. Your comments are welcome. If you enjoy knitting please visit and Like my Facebook Page www.facebook.com/Paulineknit.