Knitted blankets (Charity Knitting)

Wednesday, 7 November 2012

Work in Progress, Wednesday 7th November 2012

After a hectic month or so I am (almost) back on track. I have been knitting but cannot yet publish pictures of the most recent finished objects. The baby cardis are completed and handed over to the person who requested them but not yet to the intended recipients. The child's waistcoat for Abravo Alpacas is also completed and the pattern on sale.

The summer circular yoke jumper in the polyester eyelash yarn still hasn't got very far.


And neither has the last pair of Alexis gloves. With winter approaching the jumper can be left in abeyance for a while but the gloves completed. The gloves may be fingerless and to a certain extent palmless but they do keep the hands warm.

With Christmas coming and an event to attend I thought something festively sparkly would be in order. I am always cold so seeing me well wrapped up is nothing unusual for those who know me. As the jumper won't be worn often, I chose a Knitting Essentials yarn in colour Navy Sparkle, 98% acrylic, 2% metallic yarn. £1 for a 75g ball from Poundland. It knits like a dream. The pattern is a simple round neck raglan in stocking stitch, the same pattern that I have used for what must be coming up to four decades. I am not one for fancy or intricate designs on the knits I wear. Having said that, cables have been added at the sides to give the jumper some oomph, and the armholes/sleeve tops will be knitted in the round with cables between the raglan decreases. The front neck will be lower.


A colleague has asked for s dolman sweater to be made and I have been working on the tension swatches for that. A 2-stitch, 2-row pattern repeat that is easy to work but gives a stunning result.


In the spring of 1986 my mother bought me a cone of variegated 4ply acrylic. I made the back of a polo neck sweater then left it with the intention of completing before the winter. Having just resurrected it, it is now too small for me (or, rather, I am now too big for it) and I need to start again. Another make for this coming winter.


If you think that 1986 is a long time ago, I am still thinking about finishing something I started in 1977.

The current Huntingdon Knit-Lit book is The Water's Lovely by Ruth Rendell, which I finished yesterday. Many characters but in the end they interlinked to bring the story to a close, not that I liked the ending.


8 comments:

  1. Good to see you back Pauline. I can't believe you have WIP's so old, is the yarn still ok? I like the blue sparkly top you are knitting, great idea to put the cables up the side. Hope you are having a quieter week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. Yes I am - a couple of knitting groups and a couple of lunches with friends. The 1986 yarn is fine but have not looked at the 1977. There's a reason while this one remains unfinished. This year was supposed to be my year of finishing UFOs but so far mainly knitting things for other people. But as long as I am knitting, that's good.

      Delete
  2. I love the lace swatch! it looks so nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mary. The pattern is very easy.

      Cast on a multiple of two stitches plus two extra stitches.
      1st row K1, *yarn over needle, k2tog through back of loops. Repeat from * to last stitch, k1.
      2nd row P1, *yarn round needle, p2tog. Repeat from * to last stitch, p1.
      Repeat these 2 rows.

      Delete
  3. So many pretty things; where to start?!
    Love that variegated yarn. Too bad it won't fit as is, but who of us can say we're still the same size we were in 1986? The yarn is so pretty that I can see you'd want to use it for something you can wear.

    Also love the sparkly navy yarn. Seems like the perfect thing for a party or night out .... the sparkle will really add impact :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your positive comments. I shall enjoy making and wearing these garments.

      Delete
  4. The lacy swatch is really pretty - I love lace knitting like that. I look forward to seeing the sweater in progress. The navy sparkle looks lovely too :-) .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Carolyn. See my reply to bookworm-Mary for the instructions to work the lace pattern.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting my Paulineknit blog today. Your comments are welcome. If you enjoy knitting please visit and Like my Facebook Page www.facebook.com/Paulineknit.