Knitted blankets (Charity Knitting)

Wednesday, 16 May 2012

WIP Wednesday, 16th May 2012

The mauve and rust squares blanket seems to have been doomed from the start, which was a very long time ago. I didn't leave long enough ends for seaming and then remembered that I intended to knit the squares together. Undo stitching, start working knitted seams. Tried many methods, including crochet, and didn't like any of them. Back to stitching again. Tried my usual flat seam for garter stitch and didn't like it, tried oversewing, mattress stitch and backstitch and didn't like those either. Back to the flat seam, which is the best of a bad lot.

I remember being poorly when I started these corner to corner squares, squares being the only thing I could cope with at the time. I had read somewhere that working a bar increase on the last stitch of every row and  a knit two stitches together decrease on the last two stitches of every row, so that the shapings are on the actual edge, give a better result. I really must have been poorly otherwise I would have made samples rather than diving in and making all the squares. I think these shaping methods are the reason for the unstaisfactory seams. With corner to corner squares I usually work shapings at the beginning of the row or at both ends of alternate rows, a bar increase so that the bar comes between the edge stitch and the stitch next to it, and knit one stitch before/after the knit two stitches together. This gives me a good edge for joining. You might not agree. 

All 25 squares stitched together. The original piece of paper with the layout on it has long been lost but I had made another before stitching. Dived into a bag to find the yarn for the edging and came out with eleven more squares. Have drawn a new layout for 36 squares, and now undoing the stitching and starting over. 

On Saturday 12th I attended a Knitting With Wire workshop presented by Alison Mander at White House Arts in Cambridge. To coin a phrase, a good time was had by all. We started with a brooch (bottom right), then a ring (bottom left) and then a pendant (top right). With time left over for the quicker knitters among us we could make a fourth item. I chose the necklace. Leather cord was available for the pendant and necklace but I opted to make I-cords at home. The green marl yarn (the same as the feather and fan scarf No. 2) chosen works well with the pendant, and the lustrous black yarn with the necklace. Another technique to add to my repertoire.


Projects with colleagues continue on a rolling basis. One day I'll be able to disclose what they are. Until then Mum's the word under confidentiality considerations. With the kerpuffle with the blanket and other reasons for not clicking the needles with my own projects, not much personal knitting has been done except at knitting groups. 


5 comments:

  1. Love your jewellery, can you bring them tomorrow so we can have a look see

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Sue. Will do. I can honestly say that the workshop was well worth the fee and was very enjoyable. Looking forward to seeing your patchwork and knitting. xx

      Delete
  2. Squares don't have to be exact to work together nicely. I've made more afghans from squares then I can count. Some squares are knitted, some are crocheted, and often they come from different people, thus different tension. Crochet them together so you seem is on the right side, then once you launder and block it...it's great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sandy. Good to meet you.

      There is nothing wrong with the squares except, in my opinion, the shaping on the very edge does not give a good seam, either sewn, knitted or crocheted. Sue will tell you what a perfectionist I am. The tension is OK so that isn't an issue. I tried knitted and crochet seams on both the Right Side and the Wrong Side and didn't like them. Might try crocheting along all the edges and taking the crochet into a sewn seam. The layout I have in mind won't suffer visible seams in a different colour. I appreciate your help and suggestions.

      Delete
  3. Your workshop projects look super and I am sure that your blanket will work out in the end

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my Paulineknit blog today. Your comments are welcome. If you enjoy knitting please visit and Like my Facebook Page www.facebook.com/Paulineknit.