Knitted blankets (Charity Knitting)

Saturday, 2 July 2011

Pre Christmas 2010

Following on from the previous post, apart from working on the projects mentioned therein, I also worked on a few small commissions to be given as Christmas gifts by others, including baby clothes and a blanket. It is most enjoyable now being able to do the fingerwork of actual knitting instead of the headwork of pattern writing, pattern checking, editing and the like for other people. My own knitting patterns and books that have been swirling round my brain and bouncing off the sides for all these years are still there and one day I will get round to putting pen to paper (or fingers to keyboard).

One of the handknits was a barter: a slash-neck sweater made from King Cole Anti-tickle merino Aran weight from me in exchange for artwork of four of my past pets from Chris. I have known Chris since 1960 - old school pals - and she has always been a fantastic artist. Chris designed the sweater herself and it was an easy task to compose the pattern. The back and front were alike and the sleeves three-quarter length.

Husband Dave at last received his winter woolly, stocking stitch and 2x2 rib cardigan with pockets. This was made from King Cole Magnum Chunky. Instead of a zip he opted for toggles. This was completed in time for our weekend away in Torquay with Shearings. The Sunday was gloriously sunny and was more like a spring day rather than the December one it was. Charity shops were open and I was able to find more yarn for my stash - and for cardis and sweaters for my cousin's daughter who was one year old on 15th December. I had already made her a few things for the 2010/2011 winter and the yarn bought at Torquay is for 2011/2012.

Other pre-Christmas knits included scarves, hats, gloves and small Christmas stockings for sales of work but that was a waste of time as all I sold was one pair of gloves. I had intended to give any 'leftover' winter warmers to the local Shoebox Appeal collection point and other Good Causes but left giving too late and passed the deadlines. I now have a good start for the 2011 donations.

There were also four pairs of gusset-heel gansey socks using Katherine Misegades pattern and 100% pure wool gansey yarn - two pairs ordered by a client and one pair each for Dave and me. Plus knitted gifts for us to give as Christmas gifts, including a green spiral scarf with a fastener knitted in gold Twilleys Goldfingering.

I was also lucky enough to be asked to make hand knit samples for a friend, using the wool from her own alpaca herd. Before Christmas were legwarmers and mittens but she is now moving on to more adventurous garments and patterns.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my Paulineknit blog today. Your comments are welcome. If you enjoy knitting please visit and Like my Facebook Page www.facebook.com/Paulineknit.